lunedì 7 giugno 2010

Kate Bingaman - Obsessive Compulsion



You remember my post on 'House of Leaves' by Mark Danielewski a couple of months ago? I had stated clearly that I do enjoy post-modern books; this time, it is Kate Bingaman that surprised me with her creativity. Although it doesn't seem like the best idea in the world writing down your daily purchases for a few years consecutively, the way it's projected is really clever because she turned her lists into colorful illustrations. It's a book that does a sum up of all her purchases for the few past years. The designs are colorful and fun; I'd rather use it as a coffee-table book or maybe even treat it as an art one. I enjoyed flickering through the pages of this 'outburst of creativity' and thought I could share it with you.
Here's how she describes her work:
I've been drawing something that I purchase every day since February 5, 2006. Obsessive Consumption represents a selection of these daily drawings. I draw objects that are rather ordinary: Coke cans, Post-it notes, toilet bowl cleaner-sundry items that a lot of consumers have a shared experience with; items that we interact with, but don't really think about. I love documenting the mundane and, in turn, putting a personal face on something that is mass-produced. I make work about personal consumerism, market economies, guilt, joy, excess, more guilt, gifts, celebration, repetition, and the community of these shared experiences." —Kate Bingaman-Burt





What are you obsessed with when it comes to consumption? I have a lot of friends (and not just females, believe me!) that are obsessed with shoes! I used to do have a collection of vintage horror books like those of Ruby Jean Jensen... I know people collecting perfume bottles... But since collecting shoes is the new stamp collection, maybe it's time that you run to the Frankie Morello flagship store on Corso Matteotti for one of those:


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

 
Follow my blog with bloglovin